Thursday, March 20, 2008

Pardonez-moi...

...so I don't quite understand why we always use French words in the way that we do. Like why is it that when someone swears they then say "pardon my french". There was nothing french in what they said. Is it only french people that swear or something? Pardon my french...ma ma ma....how about pardon my language - period? If I started listing the french swear words on here none of you would even know what I was talking about...plus they don't bring as much oomph to what you're trying to say so it's useless....might was well not swear at all.

Yesterday I saw on the news that the new NYC Governor...ya the one who replaced the one who made $80,000 worth of no-nos...just publicly annouced he and his wife had a "Menage a trois". Why does that have to be said in french? Is it only french people who do that....cause clearly this guy isn't french...so why can't they use the english term? Is it more acceptable if it's said in french?

Same goes for a Deja-vu. Why not say "oh I had an already-seen today"? They always say Deja-vu....like as if the french say "Mais oui, j'ai eu un Already-seen aujourd'hui"....that makes no sense!

Did you know that RSVP is french too? Yes it is...it stands for Repondez S'il Vous Plait. Why not put PRRA? Please Respond Right Away How did we end up using the french term?

These things don't bother me as I speak a funky kind of french anyways...just makes me curious. I mix english and french together in all my sentences so I can't really judge....but these are just common examples the whole world uses. We don't use spanish for certain terms....like none of us say...."TGIV....Thank God It's Viernes"...no we say thank god it's Friday.....well it's not quite Friday yet, but it feels like it cause tomorrow is a Holiday!

"Holiday...celebrate!" - Madonna
"Baby I swear it's Deja Vu..." - Beyonce
"What made you said that?" - Shania Twain

No comments: