Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Accent or no accent...

....so I was talking to My Chatty Friend, Master T and the Corrections Man last night about how people with accents never seen to have them when they sing. Isn't that weird? It's like it disapears for those 3 minutes and then comes back as soon as the song is over. My chatty friend named Natasha Bendingfield as a good example. She has a strong accent in all of her interviews, but you never detect it in any of her songs. Download one...it's true! Even Celine Dion has a thick French accent and there's no French twang in "The Power of Love". I mentioned Gloria Estefan too. She has a lisp and there's no lisp in "Common shake your body baby do the Conga...". Is it because they automatically get rid of their accents or speach impediments as soon as the music starts, just like magic.....or is it that we just don't hear it? I guess the only singer I can think of that you notice the accent is Shakira....listen to "Wherever, Whenever"...definitely some twangs in there.

Actually that brings me to another question....while we're on the topic of twangs. Why do you need to add a twang in order to become a Country Artist? They all have that Southern Twang...and many of them don't even come from the South. That's kinda weird too. It seems like in order to qualify for a country song you need to bring that southern twist and talk about a lying, cheating spouse. All the songs sound the same....same story....you left me with nothing....you're an alcoholic...I caught you in bed with someone else....let's go to the bar and do shots or drink beer....horses are the best mode of transportation...I could go on and on!

I'm not feeling that great so i'm going to end this post.......i'll be more happening tomorrow.......sorry i'm blah...

"Sweet Home Alabama...." -happens to be on the radio right now....and works well with the Southern feel to my blog!

No comments: