Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Another one...

...so I read in today's paper about another teacher that was fired for having a relationship with a student. I don't know about you guys and gals, but I never once thought about dating one of my teachers. Is it that they were all older and seemed to be ancient at the time ? (I don't think that anymore as my definition of "Old" is quite different then it was back then - just so ya know)

I don't remember having young teachers...well maybe a few substitutes...but that's about it....and a relationship - hardly what I was thinking about at that time. I just wanted to pass the course and get out of there. Dating a teacher, at that time, was equivalent as cooties to a toddler....YUCK! (No offence to all my old teachers.) I enjoyed some of my teachers...some were funny...others were odd which was in turn, Funny....others were mean, which is OK cause someone had to be and that made me giggle as long as they weren't yelling at me....not once did I feel the need to hang out with them after hours. I guess the only exception would be the teacher in my own household...I call him oceanographer. I had to deal with him....could be a little challenging at times but I'm sure he'd say the same about me.

Actually he talked about me a lot in school. So who remembers the story of the Fresh water shark?? HAHAHA ya that was me. It goes something like this for all those who need a refresher...

...so my brother and I decided to swim from our sailboat to the shore (which wasn't far away). He had a tube to float on and mine had busted so all I had was a flutter board. Well the water was murky as it was fresh water and looked like all the lakes around here...muddy and yucky...anyways, I got in and sunk down a little since I was a tad bit on the plump side and my flutter board wasn't holding me out of the water like my tube used to....SOOOOO....I started to panic cause I don't like not knowing whats under me. Well the oceanographer decides to say..."don't worry, there's not that many Fresh Water Sharks".....Totally expecting me to know that there was no such a thing....well he was WRONG and instead I freaked out, cried and screamed till Dr.L pulled my out. Mommy dearest was mad at oceanographer for quite a while after that incident...and that was how I learned that there is no such a thing as a Fresh Water Shark. Guess I should have listened a little more in school

......Oh but there's one thing I learned in school that I'll never forget and that was in Grade 5. Everyday our teacher would get a student to look up "the word of the day" in the dictionary and explain to the class what it meant. Well, my day the word was SCUBA. (Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus) Well actually, it's an acronym, but whatever. I have never forgotten that day and have always waited for the day I could answer that question on Jeopardy. Ya i know, real sad that my life goal was to answer "Scuba stands for what?"....but truth of the matter is, it was and it happened about 5 years ago. Me, hubby, and in laws were watching Jeopardy and there it was...the question I had been waiting for since the 5th grade....so I stand up and yell at the top of my lungs...WHAT IS SELF CONTAINED UNDERWATER BREATHING APPARATUS...YES!!! I felt so smart in that moment....till I turned around and saw their faces and realized that most people knew this and I looked like a knob.

"just keep swimming...just keep swimming..." - Dorey on "Finding Nemo"
"Da dun...da dun.....da dun da dun da dun..." - Jaws....right before he pops out of the SALT water to attack.

No comments: