Friday, April 4, 2008

WWJD?...

...so I sit down with my Timmies and start reading the paper and come across the most absurd article I've ever read. I take great joy in reading about people doing absolutely ridiculous things and today was one of those days. So apparently this guy in Barring-dot got caught fishing in an illegal fishing ground near Georges in August of 2006. The Fish confiscators seized his catch and he was given a court date to go fight this. Well he decided to represent himself...first wrong move, in my opinion, but anyways...and he was going to use a Aboriginal and Metis defence. He went to trial and told the judge he's changing his defence...to guess what?.....Jesus made him do it. Oh my...I'm sure it took everything for the Judge not to burst out into a laughing fit....I know I did when I read the article. Oh it gets better....so he then proceeds to enter the bible as Exhibit A and quotes it...no word of a lie...he quotes the bible in court....man oh man...alright....let me quote you what he told the Judge...

New Testament - Matthew 17:24

"Jesus instructed Simon Peter to catch a fish using a hook and line. Jesus said the fish would have a coin in its mouth and Peter was to take it to pay a tax."

He then told the judge that this meant that Jesus wanted him to fish. The judge responded..."Jesus was telling Simon Peter to go fishing...But that was another time and place and had nothing to do with modern Canadian society and fishery regulations." Then he charged him. I'm all for people believing in whatever faith they want to...but to use it as a defence in order to justify an illegal act....that's hardly religious. I know many people live by the question: "What Would Jesus Do?" I harldy think Jesus would fish in an illegal fishing zone....I bet Jesus now wants to whack him upside the head with The New Testament - well that's what I think Jesus SHOULD do.

So I should also tell you that I have a bruise on my forehead. Apparently I need to aim better when entering a vehicle. I go to get in my car last night and as I'm mid way in I thought I heard someone call my name so I turned to see who it was and realized I was just hearing things...turned back real quick and in my descent to my seat I whacked my head on the frame of the car. I just about knocked myself out...how bright it that? I was seeing white blobs for a few minutes then I regrouped and drove home. Now I have a bruise and will need to explain to everyone that I almost knocked myself out with my car.

"I'm gonna knock you out...mama said Knock you out." -LL Cool J
"You and me going fishing in the dark..." - Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
"Oh happy day...when jesus washed....ohhhh when he washed....he washed my sins away" - Bebe Winans

No comments: