Thursday, August 28, 2008

Thursday's Thoughts...

...so today I was working away and talking about kids and stuff to some colleagues and started getting annoyed. See, I'm considered to be self-employed so I am not entitled to any Maternity Benefits. I would like to have more kids...not right now...but in the next couple years and started thinking about the hard time I went through after having my son. I went back to work after 6 weeks as we receive absolutely no income from the government for taking the time off. It really irks me that the government preaches that they want women in business, but yet throw us out on the street when it comes to having a family. It really stinks and it makes me so mad that I finally got my thoughts together today on paper and sent it to our MLA. I know him personally so I expect a response...I realize things can't change overnight, but I want to at least have my voice heard as I know many other women feel the same way I do. I was very blunt in my letter..."Do you know how hard it is to take care of a baby, pump breast milk and run a business...?" It even gets more graphic, but I'll spare you the details. If you want to read my letter, please feel free to email me and I'll send it to you.

Ok...enough of that...let's talk about today's weight loss walk discovery...Chocolate cupcake with Chocolate ganache and caramel with a whipped cream topping! Holy Hannah...is there a need for something so delicious to be so close to my office? I couldn't help but get one...after all, the bakery guy did say he baked it with me in mind...yes he knows me well! Oh my dear...it was yummy...equally as yummy as the cookies last week...unbelievable.

One thing I'm real happy about is that I don't fear contamination with this bakery....Geesh, I'm super glad I don't eat too many processed meats cause this Maple Leaf Crisis is a little scary. It's scary for all the Seniors homes, schools, day cares, etc...that serve food to hundreds...that could mean hundreds of infected people...it's just crazy. I can hardly believe that in this day and age such a large outbreak could even happen....killing 6 confirmed from this Listeriosis and even more still waiting for the results. It's real sad. I don't' want to blame anyone in particular for this outbreak as I don't feel I know enough information to pass judgement...what I do know is that the company is really going to suffer over this one and from that could come much job loss. It's sad all around.

I was a little depressed when I read about the Maple Leaf Crisis today in the paper, but was soon revived after hearing "I've got electric boots, a mohair suit, you know I read it in a magaziiiiine...oh...B B B Benny and the Jets"...on the radio! I'm going to the Elton John Concert in Hdot in like a month...how exciting is that? I can't wait...and actually I found out today that on the same day as the concert, there's a an outdoor concert nearby that afternoon featuring Hedley and a friend of mine, Dwight d'Eon and the Nation! YAY! I love concerts and totally plan on attending this afternoon one too...I'm even more excited now!

Well...that's it for me for now...sorry this post is a little scattered...I have scattered thoughts today...need more caffeine.

"When all I want is the feeling...of having someone to steer me..." - Dwight d'Eon and The Nation

1 comment:

NanNan said...

We've come a long way since I had my kids, and if we didn't have sick days,, too bad-- it's a wonderful thing to support motherhood and early bonding,, and you are absolutely right-- benefits should apply to ALL mothers!
chocolate ganance and caramel--- ouch,, sure beats cottage cheese, raw carrots, and infinite chicken breasts which I'm actually paying big bucks to eat for the next six months! I love Elton John-and I'm so jealous!