Monday, August 18, 2008

Camping at it's best...

...so we spent the weekend at my Aunt and Uncle's camp in Qdot. We settled in on Friday night just on time for the little one to go to bed. Once he was asleep we wanted to watch a few minutes of the Olympics...one problem...no rabbit ears. We turned on the TV and it was set on the channels needed for the dish, which wasn't there, so we couldn't get it off channel 3. If we went up one it went to 30...if we went down we got channel 101. When we tried getting the menu up but it was so fuzzy that we couldn't even see to switch it to cable mode. After 30 minutes of messing around with it we gave up and released our frustrations on some old golf balls. My Farty Cousin and Mr. Sociable came over and we all took turns trying to hit the golf balls across the lake. My Farty Cousin might as well give up golfing cause we could find each and every ball she hit right there on the shore...poor girl...we tried not to laugh too much.

We slept well...well I did after all the crying I did from saying bye to my Mom and Dad...anyways...not talking about that. The little one got up around 6:30am so we played with him for a little while and then I had a brain wave..."let's hook up the VCR to the TV to get the channels changed to then make an antenna to get the Olympics!!???!!" I was excited...I finally thought of something that was actually a great idea. Hubby jumped up and started hooking it up...we finally got the channel changed to 10 (the Olympics Channel) and now on to the task of making rabbit ears! With the use of my smart brain, the fireplace mantel, the old cable cord, speaker wire, black tape and a protractor...VOILA OLYMPICS! It was so exciting...it worked like a charm and now we were all very happy. Now...what better way to celebrate happiness than with a nice cup of coffee? Yup, I thought that was a wonderful addition to the morning so I make my way to coffee maker to find that there's no filters and no instant coffee. Now what do I do? Well, seeing that I'm a great antenna engineer, I thought, I must be able to make a filter! I ripped off a good ol' sheet of paper towel, poured the coffee inside and started brewing a 10 cup pot of coffee...hard to believe, but it worked!

We enjoyed the day outside, despite the overcast weather, and waited patiently for the little ones bedtime so we could enjoy a nice brewski and some smores. Once the little one was all tucked away and in dreamland we got ready to go outside and here came a complete rain storm! Most would be disappointed at this point...not me...I just put my brain into action again and made oven-broiled smores! After all...the saying goes..."when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade!"

Just to end this post...please take note that this is my type of "camping" : fix the TV to watch the Olympics, make a filter for the coffee machine with paper towel and use the oven to make smores...we were really "roughing it"...my old Brownies Leader would be proud :)

"I am so smart...S M R T!" - Homer Simpson

1 comment:

NanNan said...

Woman Power--I didn't think anyone still knew about rabbit ears of the electronic species-- you are the champion mother of invention-