Thursday, January 28, 2010

Here we go again...

...so I read the Yarmouth Vanguard online and here's an article stating that yet again, another priest that served in Yarmouth County is being investigated. Link: http://www.novanewsnow.com/article-425847-Third-priest-named-in-lawsuits-filed-against-the-Diocese-of-Yarmouth-that-allege-sexual-abuse.html

I try not to discuss religion on my blog as I know it's a very controvertial topic, but just so you know, I am catholic and this is really discouraging. I received a letter from the local church not that long ago asking for dontations...well after hearing all these stories I have to admit it's really hard to find it in my heart to give. I want to believe that this doesn't happen anymore, but that would be really naive. This type of behavior happens all the time and not just in the Catholic Church. The reason it's more in the headlines is because the church is often held to a different standard...more so in the olden days than now...but still it's suppposed to be a place that is sacred, that is peaceful, that is for all of us to go and feel safe...and with all these stories it makes that seem like more of a farce than anything else.

I can appreciate that some don't feel this way and there's nothing wrong with that...just for me, it's real hard to feel like giving when so many other institutions, families, countries, people are in need. My money is not to go to pay lawsuits...my money isn't to pay victims for wrongdoings....I feel for these victims but I didn't sweep this problem under the rug and those who did should pay.

No comments: