Monday, November 3, 2008

Unexpected Trip...

...so my dad, the Oceanographer, had a Heart Attack on October 24. He and my mom were traveling via Sailboat to the Bahamas and they were stopped at a Marina in Maryland when this happened. He ended up being flown to a world-class Cardiac Hospital in Washington, DC. Me, my aunt and my uncle left by car and drove to go see them asap. My dad was unable to fly home so we all traveled back home together in the car. We had to take our time so we took about 3 days to get back.

It was an interesting trip. I had never been to Washington DC so I had high expectations...you know, the White house being there and all. Didn't really meet any of my expectations...looked like any normal city around here. One thing though, they all had very southern accents. I was amazed at the way they spoke...felt like I was in Georgia or something. On the Monday morning, we went to have some breakfast in the hospital cafeteria and I was in awe of what they were serving. Here we were, the best Cardiac Hospital in the country and they basically were serving Heart Attack on a plate! I kid you not. Most people went for the Cream of Pork/pork fat served over a very shinny and greasy butter biscuit with a side of meatloaf...yummy...NOT! I was gagging. I looked like an idiot looking around for a boiled egg and toast...no one ate that. It was unreal. The lady sitting beside us was eating her lovely heaping plateful of the morning special and half way through her plate she stood up, jumped around, rubbed her belly and sat back down in order to make more room in her stomach for the rest! Just plain crazy, if you asked me.

Another thing I found real interesting was the stands with these plastic bags by every door. It kinda looked like the small plastic bag holders by the fruits and veggies at the grocery store...just longer. I didn't understand what people would need these bags for so I went and took one. I laughed...it's a "Wet Umbrella Bag". Yup...people come in and put their umbrella's in these bags in order not to drip all over the hospital. It's a great idea, but what puzzles me is that it doesn't rain that much in Washington. The whole time I was there I didn't see one person with an umbrella...seems kinda odd to have the bags/bag holders all over the place...needless to say I have two in my purse...couldn't leave them there! hehehe

When I finally made it back home, after being away for almost a week, I went get the little one from Daycare. He just loves Daycare and especially the outdoor time which always happens from 4:10 till whenever the parents show up. I have to fight with him to leave cause he's having so much fun. Well, I walked in and they were just getting ready to go outside. The little one was sitting on the bench, waiting for the teacher to tell him to line up before going outside. He took one look at me and started yelling "MAMA!! MAMA!!" He jumped off the bench and ran towards me and just before I could reach to pick him up he stopped snug, yelled "UH OH...OH NO!!" and bolted the other way. He was excited to see me, but it must have dawned on him that I'd be taking him home before he'd get a chance to play that he panicked and ran away. Too cute. I had to run around to get him, but eventually he gave me a kiss and we drove home.

We relaxed all weekend and now it's back to work. The Oceanographer is feeling great and it's nice to have them home. Hopefully things will be back to normal this week!

"Fish don't fry in the kitchen...beans don't burn on the grill..." - "The Jefferson's Theme Song

No comments: