Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The things adults say...

...so today I was thinking of all the childhood songs we used to sing. There's one that stands out and is kinda a staple in my family as it's sung at every family sing song or get together. It's called "Alouette".

The song lyrics are as follows:

"Alouette, gentille Alouette
Alouette, je te plumerai
Je te plumerai la tete (every verse you'd change this part to le bec, le dos, les ailes, etc...)
Je te plumerai la tete
Et la Tete
Alouette
OHHHHH.... " (And you start over)

So this is normally a fun song to sing as you keep naming parts and singing along. Now here's what's disturbing...the English Translation. An "Alouette" in English is a "Skylark" which is a small bird. Now let's sing this in English:

"Skylark, nice skylark
Skylark, I shall pluck you
I shall pluck your head
I shall pluck your head
And your head
Skylark

OHHHHHH..."

Can you imagine...all these years we've been singing this cute french song at home, at school, at family gatherings and here we are singing about de-feathering a bird! What kind of people are we? So now I'm wondering who else caught on that we have been singing about torchering a bird...to my surprise, Wikipedia has a listing for it! I can hardly believe it. Here's what it says:

""Alouette" is a popular Canadian[1] children's song about plucking the feathers off a skylark, a small bird." - Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alouette_(song))

Unreal...I wonder what else we sing that we don't know what on earth we're singing about?

No comments: