Thursday, November 13, 2008

Front Page News...

...so I was reading the paper today and on the front page I read an article about a family of 5 who is having trouble buying tickets for the Olympic Games in 2010. Apparently the system only allows you to buy 4 tickets per VISA (and VISA ONLY) card for each event. This doesn't work for them as they're 5. The article continues on with more boo-hooing that this was their dream and that now they'll have to wait to try to buy more in January when another wave of tickets is available. They also note that this vacation was likely going to cost them about $20,000 and now it's ruined. Ok so here's what gets me about this article:

A) the title, which is : "Olympic Anguish"
I would hardly call this anguish. I mean, I get that they want to take their family, but it's not the end of the earth. Many people will not be able to go see the Olympics logistically and financially...many tried to get a spot on an Olympic Team and got cut, which I'd consider to be something of anguish...just cause they couldn't get more than 4 tickets doesn't qualify as anguish. Anguish, to me, would be when you stub your toe on the furniture, or you open a cupboard in your own face (which I admit to doing recently), or when you try to pull up the rug from your basement floor and you fall backwards and ram your knee in your chest breaking 2 of your own ribs and tearing some ligaments (this wasn't me, it was a colleague....but it is kinda funny to picture and I couldn't help telling you all about it HEHEHEH!!!!) Not getting what you what when you want it is not anguish...poor choice of words.

B) $20,000!!! What the??!!! Does someone else think this is super expensive???

AND

C) Why is this front page news??? There's a war in Iraq for no reason, the economy is in hard shape, there are tragedies and triumphant stories that could be told...this...none of those things.

So to make a statement, I did not continue reading the paper as I always "Judge a book by it's cover" and I frankly don't like this cover. Sadly, no one cares that I didn't finish the paper but me. :)

"I'm just second hand news..." - Fleetwood Mac

No comments: