Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Letters and feet...

...so remember I told y'all about sending a letter to the local MLA? Anyways, I did, complaining about the lack of maternity benefits for self-employed women. I got a response listing a bunch of stats strengthening my position...like this statement:

" According to Statistics Canada, in 2007, more than 900,000 women were self-employed in Canada. This represents 35 per cent of self-employed workers, and about 11 per cent of Canada’s female workforce. It is unsettling to note that the vast majority of self-employed women take less than four weeks of maternity leave, compared to an average of nearly six months for employed women."

Well that's wonderful...thanks for letting me know I'm not alone...now what? Solution anyone? So in his letter he urged me to write to my local MP. I thought, what do I have to lose...after all, it is an election year. I wrote to him the exact same letter and to my surprise, he phoned me personally last night. He advised that the Liberal Platform had a plan addressing exactly what I'm looking for: Maternity/Sick Benefits for the self-employed!!! YAY! He also told me that in fairness to the Conservatives, they also had a similar plan so no matter what happens during the election, it seems like I'll get my wish!! I thought that was very honest of him to tell me that both parties had something for me. Now I will do some more research before I make a decision on my vote. Thanks to both my MLA and MP for the responses...and note they are both from different parties...working together to help me.

DISCLAIMER: Just so y'all know, I don't want to use my blog to bash or favor any party or politician. I have some respect for all of them as they're doing a job that I wouldn't want at this point in time. I will remain neutral and just state things I find interesting about this election, be it the US one or the Canadian one.

Now let's move on to something more serious...my clumsiness! I failed to tell y'all about my falls over the weekend...kinda embarrassing, but funny now that I think about it. Picture this....so me and my two friends get ready to leave the hotel and go out for some supper. We get to the elevator and the door is closing. I run to catch it, but it's too late, the people in the elevator are staring at me while they do absolutely nothing about the fact that I want to go down and that's where they're going. I hit the down arrow and all of a sudden, the doors open again! The man by the buttons must have felt bad and pressed the open door button...YAY...so I go to walk in the elevator...and it happens...I take one step and fall flat on my face in the elevator at this guy's feet. Ya..I know...do do do, I'm walking straight then BAM...in the elevator I go. Apparently when the doors closed the elevator went down a little so when it opened again there was about a half a foot drop between the hallway floor and the elevator floor. Basically it was like I walked from the dining room into a sunk in living room, missing the steps. Lovely...so I get up and dust myself off...trying not to laugh and noticing everyone else was biting they're cheeks too. How embarrassing? Anyways...let's fast forward to Sunday morning...walking into the breakfast place. We're going up the stairs and I completely ram my big toe into the cement stairs. I fumble to stay up and catch myself on the rail...I'm ok, but my toe - not so much. I think I broke something on the top of it as it still hurts to move. I've come to the conclusion that I'm unfit to be out in public. I am my own hazard. People worry about having a car accident, crashing in a plane, falling off a high building...not me...I worry about hurting myself...with myself!

"...Then I ran into your garden,But I tripped out the gate" - Hedley

1 comment:

NanNan said...

Now you need to do the research on the percentage of election promises kept!! BUT it was nice of him to phone you-- too bad this same attention wasn't forthcoming in non election times-- but real good news that at least this issue is now on the table and making its way into their consciousness!!
I can just see the elevator people trying to hold in their laughs! Sorry to tell you,, but that was a real good belly laugh read--