Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Night Terror...

...so my oldest son woke up last night cause he had to go to the bathroom. Hubby got up and took him and once he brought him back to his room, he started freaking out! I got up and went in to calm him down, but it wasn't working. He was seeing Bees...EVERYWHERE! He was hysterically jumping around the room and swatting at the bees as if they were attacking him. It was pitiful. I couldn't calm him down cause he wouldn't come to me as he saw bees on me too. I turned on the light and still...he'd point, scream like someone was torturing him and cry. He wouldn't get in his bed cause he thought there were bees there...he wouldn't walk on the floor without screaming cause the bees were attacking him...he wouldn't get out of his room cause the bees were in the hall. I talked to him calmly and explained that bees live outside and they were sleeping in their beds. He would answer me and look me in the eyes....then the minute I'd stop he'd start screaming and swatting them. It was the most horrible experience I've ever been through with a child. Once I finally got him to come to me, he was shaking so bad he couldn't keep his feet on the floor. He was a trembling mess and his heart was pounding so much I was afraid he'd have heart failure. After a few hours he calmed down and I slept in his bed with him to "protect him". He remembered this morning, but wasn't afraid. He remembered all the facts I told him about bees...just not the scared part.

I researched this on the Internet and it's called "Night Terrors". It most commonly happens to boys between the ages of 3-6...he'll be 3 in a month. They are actually asleep....hard to believe...but they are. He was talking and reasoning with me and also repeating...but still asleep. Most kids have night terrors about bugs, snakes, spiders and other animals. I can't believe it's actually a condition. It was horrible and I hope it doesn't continue. My heart was hurting for him...the fear in his face was something I'll never forget.

No comments: