Thursday, February 26, 2009

Parking and Politics...

...so I read and article in the Chronicle Herald today about parking spaces. Apparently the motorbike people want the city of Hdot to offer them free parking for their bikes. Their reasoning is that they take up less space, they ruin less roads, they burn less gas and they leave less pollution. Well isn't that nice? I'm not sure I like the idea of giving them free parking. First of all, I'm all for helping the environment, but I do everything I can in my home for that. Just because I don't ride a motorbike, doesn't mean I'm not helping stop pollution. Not only that, last time I checked, you can't fit a family of 3 or 4 with car seats on a motorbike so it's not even an option anyways! Also, wouldn't you have the same argument for those who drive hybrids? Do they deserve free parking? It's the same argument about gas and pollution. The other issue of less room...I'm not to sure about that. The motorbike is quite long, especially those real fancy motorbikes so it would take up almost the same room as a car along the street since you park parallel to the street....wouldn't you agree? Big deal that it's not as wide...it's still the same amount of space. Maybe in a parking garage you could arrange to have the bikes side by side...but generally we're talking the same space. Soooo basically I'm saying that I don't like the idea of free parking for Motorcycles...I wonder what you all think?

The other big issue in the news today was the fact that the Premier of NS was given 4 free tickets to the Olympics as well as the option to buy 200 more. People are criticising him for not knowing what he's gonna do and the opposition is already bashing him should he decide to go as he should have more important things to deal with than the Olympics. Keep in mind the reason for these tickets and the option for more is because NS sponsored the Olympic Project as well as some of the athletes. Ok...now having said all that...Big deal he got some free tickets! I don't see that as a problem. Now, the issue I would have is about who would be paying for his trip there...him or us. I think he and his family or friends should use the free tickets, but they should buy their own travel, hotel and meals. I'm not game to have them go have a blast somewhere where I can't afford to go, on my dime, when there are better ways to spend that money. As for the 200 other tickets...do a raffle...let the people of NS have a shot at buying them....not the government, on our dime again. I don't agree with the opposition giving him flack as he should have better things to do...heck, they clearly don't have much better things to do than worry about whether or not the Premier is going to Vandot in 2010! Geesh! That's a year away...are we going to have to talk about this for a whole year? What would they do if they were in power and had these tickets? Let's not point fingers when we know the answer.

So that's that...oh and here's my "Roll up the Rim" standings:

Timmies: 4
Ldot: 0

Not looking too promising!

"Don't Worry, Be Happy" - Bobby McFerrin

No comments: