Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Can't avoid this one...

...so I watch the news last night to see the Pope on his way to Africa on a little mission. I don't like talking about religion, but I don't think this is a religious issue. The Pope claims that condoms aren't the answer to stopping the spread of AIDS...abstinence is the best method. Hum....this coming from a man who must abstain from sexual intercourse to continue in his role as Pope...easier said than done my friend.

Today in the Chronicle Herald there's an article about this and I quote the last line: " You can’t resolve it with the distribution of condoms. On the contrary, it increases the problem."-Pope Benedict Here's the link to the article: http://thechronicleherald.ca/World/1111858.html

Wow...not right sure the Pope is sending the right message. I bet I could find a million tenth grade students that could teach him a little lesson in Sex Ed. Abstinence is the best method, agreed, but let's face it...a basic human need is sex (yup, it's on Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs taught in schools...here's the link if you don't believe me: http://www.basic-counseling-skills.com/images/8stageModel.jpg - right there on the first rung on the pyramid next to sleep and shelter!) so people are gonna do it. If they're gonna do it then what is the best method of preventing the spread of Aids...CLEARLY it's CONDOMS. So telling people not to bother giving condoms and letting them do what they they've been doing, cause the most part isn't going to abstain, is totally useless. Handing out condoms or educating people on the proper use of a condom is not going to "increase the problem". That's slightly ridiculous. I disagree completely with this mission and I think it gives kids the wrong message. Plus, if everyone constantly abstained from sex, there would be no babies born. Sex is important and the proper education of sex is important as there are big risks, but I guess I would argue it's the same as driving a car. The best way to avoid getting in a car accident is abstaining from driving and getting in cars. The problem with this is that people are gonna drive so how do we let these people know how to avoid getting in a car accident.....yes, that's right...proper education!

I'm real disapointed in our Pope...sorry...

"Let's talk about sex baby, let's talk about you and me..." -Salt-n-Pepa

No comments: