Tuesday, December 9, 2008

One more post today...

...so I'm reading the online version of the local newspaper and see this article:
"Exposition de creches in West Pubnico Dec. 14" Please excuse the incorrect french spelling as my computer refuses to let me put accents on my letters. Anyways, here's a little blurb from the article:

"Close to 50 crèches will be on display on Dec. 14 as part of a fundraising event organized by the West Pubnico Acadian Historical Society of West Pubnico. To mark the "Spirit of Christmas", crèches with unique history, special significance, and particular built, or from other countries will be on display in the Centre de Pombcoup /Fire Hall in West Pubnico. "
Reference: http://www.novanewsnow.com/article-281799-Exposition-de-creches-in-West-Pubnico-Dec-14.html

Ok here's why I write this...a Creche in English is a Nativity Scene...so seems to me in an English article you would put Nativity Scene, known as a Creche in French or something like that. To someone who is English, do you really think they would be excited to see a creche? What the heck is a creche? Let's use another word...let's say a shoe store was having a sale....would the article say: Please come see our wide selection of Souliers, Bottes and Espadrilles? No they would say Shoes, Boots and Sneakers!

Just seems odd to me...or maybe I'm too picky?!

"I did it, Myyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Way" - Frank Sinatra

No comments: