Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Day Surgery...

...so I had to get a minor procedure done at Day Surgery last week. I was a tad nervous as I had never been there and didn't really know what to expect. Well...it's quite the process. I felt like I was going to be incarcerated for Life. So you get in there and a nurse explains whatever procedure you're getting done and asks a bunch of questions. She then takes you to a bathroom and you need to put on a Johnny shirt, housecoat, booties and hair net thing...NOTHING ELSE so it's pretty drafty and hanging low ;)

Once you get in the new sexy pale green/pale blue attire you must put all your belongings in a drawstring bag that says "Belongings of _______". You then place this bag in a locker in the waiting room with everyone else that have the same outfit as you. this is challenging if you're trying to keep your boobs up with your arm and bending over too far would be a problem. There are men, women and kids all there with you. Glad I didn't have dentures cause you need to take those out too and carry a cup of teeth around as well as your boobs.

Anyways, so you wait here till a nurse comes and it's kinda like herding cattle. Call them and they all come to the next spot. I was taken to another waiting area where I have to listen to all the goings on in the other OR's. I was quite nervous and I waited here for about 45 minutes. It kind of made it worse but I was trying to suck it up. The worst part was while I was sitting there the garbage guy came by holding bags and bags of OR garbage. The bags were pretty see through so there was loads of blood, tubes and yucky stuff. This made me super nauseated. There was even some blood dripping from one bag on the floor and no one cleaned it up and I just felt ill.

After a little while a nurse came and she was super nice. She explained everything and just made me feel so much better. She brought me to the OR and helped the other nurses get ready and keep me company. One of the nurses even came over and rubbed my arm to comfort me as she knew I was quite worked up. The whole thing didn't take long and after it was all done I was walked back to the first waiting room with all the "waiting cattle", got my belongings, changed back to my normal clothes and off I went.

The whole process is just real uncomfortable. I wish that garbage guy would have put the bags in a bin rather than carry them....yuck....but the entire OR staff are amazing so I guess I can't complain. It's done....for now...till I go again in September. At least now I know what to expect and so do y'all....good luck!

No comments: